Digital technologies and social media are revolutionizing the world; and the realm of politics is no exception.
Traditional political behaviors from voting to issue advocacy to exercising freedom of speech and the press have been disrupted by these new technologies. International politics and security have also been dramatically transformed, as social movements and terrorist organizations that now have global reach challenge the dominance of traditional nation states.
The Certificate in Digital Politics, offered jointly by Rutgers–Camden’s Center for Digital Studies and the Political Science Department, is designed to:
- Provide an opportunity for students to explore how the digital revolution is disrupting power relations and politics;
- Develop student skills and understanding of digital technology that will open pathways to emerging careers that incorporate social media messaging and analysis, digital data analytics, digital content creation, and mobilization and communication strategy;
- Connect students with practitioners and experts in an array of professions transformed by digital politics.
The DPCP is open to any student of any major in the Rutgers system. The program is recommended for all students who are interested in learning more about the interaction of digital and political realities, including those who may want to pursue careers in related fields. Download an application.
Students who are interested in careers in myriad political sectors – from political campaigns and governmental work to non-profit advocacy and/or organizing – will benefit from the knowledge and training provided in the DPCP program. In an increasingly digital political space, students’ ability to both understand and engage with digital tools will help them to stand out to potential employers.
All students enrolled in the DPCP must complete a total of six courses (18 credits) among those listed here to earn the certificate. You will be required to take three core courses and three elective courses, chosen from the categories below. The course requirements are as follows:
Digital Politics Course Options
Core Certificate Course Options
- Can I Apply Previously Taken Courses Towards Completion of the Certificate?
- Any courses taken from the Fall 2015 semester forward may be applied towards completing the certificate.
- What If I Am Enrolled in the Digital Studies Major?
- Any student who is enrolled in the Digital Studies major may apply credits earned in that program to the Digital Politics certificate, as long as they fulfill the criteria stated above.
For information on the Digital Politics Certificate Program, contact the Chair of the Rutgers-Camden Political Science Department